Tidbits about Zion
1883-1917 The early minutes of the cemetery board were written in German and reflect life at that time.
1883 The first interment took place at the cemetery in December. Originally, the property contained a stable, a barn, a picnic shelter, and a lake.
1885 The cemetery board posted signs prohibiting tying your horse to a tree, picking flowers, working on a grave on a Sunday, and walking across graves. Shortly thereafter, they collected $4 in fines.
1916 The board decided to purchase a horse-drawn lawn mower.
1918 Parts of the cemetery were dedicated to growing oats and clover. The board reduced the working hours of the men to nine hours a day.
1920 The board instituted Perpetual Care. This did away with the need to bill every family every year for maintenance of their graves. Some of these bills still exist in the cemetery records.
1922 Technology arrives! The board installed a two party phone in the office. They also purchased twenty sheep for grazing on unused portions of the cemetery.
1923 The board established a dahlia garden at the cemetery.
1924 An architect was hired to design an office and chapel building for the cemetery.
1927 A bounty of twenty-five cents was approved by the board to pay workers for the capture of moles and gophers.
1933 The board entered their dahlias in a flower show.
1941 Cemetery workers received a raise, which increased their wages to fifty cents per hour.